Get ready to hear the most amazing story of your life. Prepare yourself.
Two weeks ago when we went to Eugene and heard President Young talk, he said we have to have a fiery testimony of the Book of Mormon to teach. We have to receive one for ourselves. So I decided to do it. I have always known it was true, I have never questioned it once! But that being the case, I have never had a soul shaking witness either. But I heard once that President Eyering askes every now and then for another witness that the book is true. So I thought, "If an apostle does it, I can ask for one too"
So for the next two weeks I studied and prayed to have a strong fiery witness that it was true. I was getting a little frustrated that it was taking two weeks, but I still worked at it. Last week Sister Clove and I were going through the old records the elders left us and called a potential they talked with once. His name was Randy and said he would love to meet us. He called back later and said he had an agenda and a list of questions he would like to go over and he would like us to study them before we got there, "so that we can all learn from each other, because I am a bible scholar". AND he was going to bring a friend of his.
Two weeks ago when we went to Eugene and heard President Young talk, he said we have to have a fiery testimony of the Book of Mormon to teach. We have to receive one for ourselves. So I decided to do it. I have always known it was true, I have never questioned it once! But that being the case, I have never had a soul shaking witness either. But I heard once that President Eyering askes every now and then for another witness that the book is true. So I thought, "If an apostle does it, I can ask for one too"
So for the next two weeks I studied and prayed to have a strong fiery witness that it was true. I was getting a little frustrated that it was taking two weeks, but I still worked at it. Last week Sister Clove and I were going through the old records the elders left us and called a potential they talked with once. His name was Randy and said he would love to meet us. He called back later and said he had an agenda and a list of questions he would like to go over and he would like us to study them before we got there, "so that we can all learn from each other, because I am a bible scholar". AND he was going to bring a friend of his.
So we took a couple from our ward with us who had recently returned from a mission. We got there and the friend of his was a Jehovah's Witness. Oh boy. Yeah, it was pretty much a trap. The older couple we took with us started having a heated debate with them right after the prayer. The questions they had were "where did we come from, why are we here, what is so important about the Book of Mormon" etc. Sister Clove and I didn't get anything in the first fifteen minutes. We got a little in about the plan of salvation, but then the friend of Randy's kept telling us to prove it in the bible. uhg. They didn't want to know more truths, they wanted see if we could prove out religion according to theirs.
Then they started attacking the Book of Mormon, and I didn't like that. So I jumped in right then amongst the snarling between them and said, (smiling of course) "You know, that is what is so amazing about the Book of Mormon; it's so complex that scholars can study it but so simple that a child could understand the principles. My companion and I aren't perfect in any way, but I KNOW that the Book of Mormon is true and that it is from the mouths of God's prophet. I can testify that it is the word of God" and when I testified I felt FIRE IN MY SOUL! I have NEVER felt that much passion before! Bill (the friend) looked at me and said "Oh really? How." And I looked him in the eye and said (imagine me saying it like Elder Holland) "Because God told me!" "How." he replied quickly. "Through the power of the Holy Ghost" I said with firmness. And he couldn't say anything else. I almost started crying I was so happy!!! I have NEVER FELT SO PASSIONATE! And you all know I am a passionate person! He then changed the subject and used big works, but I felt so happy and at peace even though I was being attacked.
I can't tell you how happy it makes me to tell people at the end of lessons that I KNOW they can receive an answer if they read and pray with their whole heart about the book of mormon, or any answer at that!
One more story. We have this less active member. She is an older lady (80's) and is EXTREMELY stressed. Her children don't get along, she hasn't heard from her daughter in 5 years, and her son rarely comes around. She doesn't think God loves her anymore. This last week we went to see her and I played Nearer my God to Thee on the Uke and sang for her. She got all emotional and her husband sang with us (Who has NEVER been around for a lesson). He even stayed for the discussion. I didn't realize how rare this was until after the lesson. At the end of the discussion I talked about prayer. They both said they pray. I was then prompted to ask if they pray as a couple. They said they didn't. I told them, "If you pray as a couple you will grow closer and stronger as a couple" THEN! The spirit told me to say, "And if you pray together as a couple for your children, they will come back to you. I promise this as a representative of Jesus Christ. Will you pray tonight as a couple?" I FELT THE FIRE IN MY SOUL AGAIN! I have NEVER felt the spirit in so many different ways as I have here on my mission, especially telling me what words to say! AMAZING! They both agreed to do it.
One more story. We have this less active member. She is an older lady (80's) and is EXTREMELY stressed. Her children don't get along, she hasn't heard from her daughter in 5 years, and her son rarely comes around. She doesn't think God loves her anymore. This last week we went to see her and I played Nearer my God to Thee on the Uke and sang for her. She got all emotional and her husband sang with us (Who has NEVER been around for a lesson). He even stayed for the discussion. I didn't realize how rare this was until after the lesson. At the end of the discussion I talked about prayer. They both said they pray. I was then prompted to ask if they pray as a couple. They said they didn't. I told them, "If you pray as a couple you will grow closer and stronger as a couple" THEN! The spirit told me to say, "And if you pray together as a couple for your children, they will come back to you. I promise this as a representative of Jesus Christ. Will you pray tonight as a couple?" I FELT THE FIRE IN MY SOUL AGAIN! I have NEVER felt the spirit in so many different ways as I have here on my mission, especially telling me what words to say! AMAZING! They both agreed to do it.
I LOVE being a missionary. So much. The two things that make me the happiest is putting on my tag in the morning, and signing things as "Sister Orr II". I'm so proud of my older sister who went before me. :)
Love you all! You'll have to wait for the hippy stories for next week! Share this letter with as many people as possible, I want EVERYONE to know they can receive answers.
Sister Orr II
Love you all! You'll have to wait for the hippy stories for next week! Share this letter with as many people as possible, I want EVERYONE to know they can receive answers.
Sister Orr II
No comments:
Post a Comment